So tonight at life group, we were having Soup and Salad night, and, originally, I had said that I would bring Campbell's Chicken Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup. But, this morning, I woke up and felt, as my cousin says, "domestic." I decided to make it.
So, after searching allrecipes.com (thanks to my friend Michelle, who always recommends that website), I decided on one and went to HEB.
At HEB, I asked the Cheese Lady where I would find "5 cups of cubed processed cheese." She pointed me over to the little cubes in the bag, next to the string cheese. So I picked up the mild cheddar cubes (as well as a block of mild cheddar to cut into cubes myself instead of spending $3 a bag for 5 bags). I'm sure by now, those of you who cook know my mistake.
Long story short, I got the wrong cheese. So, when i tried to cook it, the bottom 3-4 inches of the pan was full of goopy, nasty cheese stuff. And, the flour I was supposed to put in it kept clumping.
I was very sad at my failure, but after a lunch at Chili's in portland and a trip to K-mart, I went home to try again with new cheese (velveeta this time), new broccoli, new everything.
And let me say, the second time around, it was quite tasty.
So, I now know that processed cheese does not mean mild cheddar, but velveeta.
And, for a laugh for you: I spent $17 today...on cheese alone.
Glad it worked out despite the evil cheese lady!
ReplyDeleteWell that's a good things to know if I ever try to make soup in the future - processed vs regular. Sorry you had to waste a lot of time and money but at least you got a pretty good end result. :)
ReplyDelete