Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The infamous New Year's resolutions...

So, here it is, New Year's Eve, and I know the dreaded question I'll be asked by friends tonight will be, "What's your New Year's resolution?" I could say the same things that I always say every year: lose weight, make all As, and save money. But really? I've been having those resolutions for as long as I can remember, and are they really making any impact in my life? I mean am I really doing everything I can in order to do those things? NO. I'm not. (From here on out, New Year's resolution will be NYR).

Dictionary.com defines a resolution as ' a formal expression of opinion or intention made.' So, it's what you really intend to do. It doesn't mean you have to actually do it, just make a conscious effort at doing so?

So I guess my previous NYRs have been correct...I have intended to lose weight. I have intended to make all As. I have intended to save money. It just gets to me. Why can't I get over it? I feel like if I set a NYR, that I'm just going to fail at it, and why would I want to set a NYR and then feel like a failure in mid-January when I quit?

So, here is a list of things that I would like to accomplish in 2009, but I'm not going to worry and stress over them.
1. Shape Up- I'm kinda at a point where I just want to be at a healthy BMI and not care about having that 'perfect' body that I had previously dreamt of having.
2. Make grades that reflect the work I put into the classes. If I put in 100% effort, I know that I'll make As. So I am really going to work at studying.
3. Budget. Budget. Budget. Kendi and Don sat down with me and helped me come up with a reasonable budget. I pray that I can stick to it.
4. Running. I absolutely LOVE to run. I just don't make time for it and my knees hurt when I run too much. So, I'm going to slowly work my way into running again. I want to have my time be less than an hour when I run Beach to Bay in May. (Last year, my time was like 1:08). I also want to be able to run a half marathon by this time next year. That's 13.1 miles. and I know, that is a lot. But, I do have 12 months.
5. Have time to do nothing. I would like to set aside one day a month for me to do absolutely nothing. (I'll wait until I have all my syllabi to make sure I don't schedule those days the day before a paper or exam.haha).

But, my NYR that I'll tell everyone. The one that I really want to do. The BIG one.

I am going to wake up each morning and thank God for all that He has done for me.

So often, I take for granted all the things that I have and I forget to thank Him. What if I start my each day thanking Him? Not asking for things, but just saying, 'Thank You, God. You are AMAZING!!!'

No comments:

Post a Comment